There can be variant numerous files on your computer system. Still, few unknown files can cause a suspicious state because most computer users get alert on unknown files by considering these as malware or threat to their computer system; IgfxTray.exe also stands in the list of such files.
What is igfxper.exe?
IgfxTray stands for Intel Graphics System Tray. IgfxTray.exe is basically a component or module of Intel Common User Interface developed by Intel Corporation. Being a practical part of the Graphics media accelerator driver enables the users to launch the Graphics configuration utility in no time.
IgfxTray automatically pops up on the startup screen and displays a tray icon by which you can access the control panel quickly.
Why does it run on startup?
Most people are used to altering the settings more frequently; this Igfxtray.exe process runs on the startup in view of facilitating the users in their need of frequently changing settings. Actually, the IgfxTray module enables the users to access Intel Graphics configuration software directly and more quickly; it acts as a shortcut.
Is the Igfxtray module legitimate?
Basically, it is a legitimate process, but yes, in few rare cases, some malware or virus can deceive you by residing in the process unknowingly and consequently can be critically harmful to the computer system.
So, to eliminates the chances of malicious attacks, it is recommended to check first either the Igfxtray.exe process is legit or not. There are two possible ways to confirm this security aspect. You would need to ensure that the system directory in which the process resides is accurate, and the digital signatures should also be verified. To do so:
- Navigate to the Igfxtray process in task manager.
- Select & right-click on the process to access its “properties.”
- In “properties’ click on the “general” tab from the header menu.
- Here make sure that the mentioned location of the process is C:\windows\systme32.
- Click on the “digital signatures” tab in the “Properties.” (You will see a list of signatures)
- Select each signature individually and click on the details option to check whether all are verified or not.
If the Igfxtray.exe process passes both of the security checks successfully, it ensures its legitimacy, and it can not cause any harm to your computer system.
Why is it needed to disable the IgfxTray module?
If still, you are encountering a security warning about the Igfxtray.exe process, that doesn’t always mean that it is actually a threat to your system, and you have the choice to stop that security warning from popping up in the start.
In other situations, if your computer is running low on memory, then too, you can either bypass it or disable it. Because the Igfxtray.exe process doesn’t need to be run necessarily on the startup, it’s just a choice, not an essential app. So, the disabling can be possible by adopting the following stated tactics.
Disable Igfxtray module via System configuration
System configurations enable the user to disable the Igfxtray process in a relatively quicker & more manageable way. Disabling the process via Task manager won’t take much time; you can easily disable it in Task manager within few moments. You just need to follow these basic steps.
- Launch the Task Manager app either directly or by shortcut key Ctrl+ shift+ Esc.
- Navigate to the header menu and click on the “startup” tab. (The startup tab will display all the processes that run automatically at the startup)
- Select the “Igfxtray process” in the startup menu.
- Right-click on the Igfxtray process and select the “disable” option.
Task manager> startup tab> Igfxtray process> disable
Exclusion of Igfxtray process via windows defender
So, suppose you are pretty sure of the legitimacy of Igfxtray based on successful security checks. In that case, you can easily exclude this Igfxtray module by adding it to the “Exclusions” list in windows defender. Then the windows defender won’t consider this executable module in the following scanning process & it will no more be popping us as a security warning on the startup.
Note: Make sure it is 100% safe before enlisting it in “Exclusions.” Because in contradictory cases, it can harm your computer at severe risk.
The following steps will assist you in excluding the Igfxtray module.
- Launch the windows settings on your computer.
- Select “Update & security” form settings menu.
- Open “window defender.”
- Click on the “open windows defender security center.”
- Click on the Settings icon in the bottom left corner.
- Select the “Virus & threat protection” settings.
- Click on the “Exclusions” option.
- Select the “Add or remove exclusions” option.
- Click on “Add an exclusion” and select the option “process.”
- Add the “Igfxtray.exe” process in the Exclusions list.
Settings> update & security> windows defender> open windows defender security center> settings icon> virus & threat protection settings> Exclusions> add or remove exclusions> add an exclusion> process> Igfxtray.exe
Delete it using the registry editor
Though both the above-stated methods are pretty effective in few rare cases, there doesn’t work for you, and you consistently see this dialogue box, then You can go for the deletion of registry entry. The deletion of registry entry will prevent the Igfxtray process from running as a startup process.
- To delete its registry entry, follow the below-stated steps precisely.
- To launch the Run window, press the Windows + R keys.
- Type the “Regedit” command in the “Run” dialogue box and press “Enter.”
- In the registry editor, launch the file path HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
- Delete the following registry entry “C:\WINDOWS\ system32\igfxpers.exe”.
- Restart your computer & check if the issue has been resolved or not.
(Make sure to restart the system with administrative privileges)
Run> regedit > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion> C:\WINDOWS\ system32\igfxpers.exe> Delete> Restart PC
This deletion of registry entry will stop the Igfxtray process from popping into the computer’s startup process.
Note: The process of registry deletion must be performed precisely & carefully because in contradictory cases, the selection of a wrong registry can put your commuter system at extreme risk as this can disturb the whole working of the system.
Another solution to bypass this problem is by reinstalling the default Intel drivers, as this Igfxtray process is a part of the Graphics media accelerator driver. To reinstall the default intel driver, you can search for the correct & compatible drivers online. The most feasible way of reinstalling the drivers is by uninstalling the pre-installed stock drivers and then just restart the computer. This because the default drivers get reinstalled automatically.
Many computer users may often encounter a dialog box related Igfxtray process or an error message stating that the “Igfxtray process has stopped working.” This Igfxtray process is an executable module of the Intel Common User Interface and developed by Intel Corporation.
Basically, this Igfxtray module works as a shortcut to the control panel menu to access the Intel Graphics utility readily. But the users may intend to stop this pop-up dialog box either in concern of security aspect or low storage running on the computer.
Given the users’ concern over this Igfxtray.exe process, in this article, we have explained its all-related aspects in detail and also suggested few effective & quick ways to stop it from popping up on the startup. Apart from reinstallation of default Intel drivers, you can adopt few other working ways to disable Igfxtray.
The users can directly disable the Igfxtray process from the task manager or can delete its registry file via registry editor. Implementation of any of these solutions gives the same result.