Have your concerns about the threats of online surfing pushed you to seek online privacy and security solutions such as VPNs? Are you now more vigilant about the files and software in your computer than ever before? Suppose you have recently downloaded and installed a VPN and are using it regularly. In that case, you might have noticed the TAP-Windows Adapter v9.21.2 file has appeared in the system without any alerts or permissions.
Are you wondering what is TAP Windows Adapter? Will it harm your computer? Should you get rid of it? In today’s article, we answer these questions and more to put your mind at ease about TAP-Windows Adapter v9.21.2.
What Is The Purpose Of TAP-Windows Adapter 9.21.2?
We understand the concern of Windows users upon finding an unknown file or application, which they don’t recall downloading or installing because most malware and spyware files can install on your computer without your knowledge. Thankfully, TAP Windows Adapter V9 isn’t a threat, and you don’t have to panic because it’s safe and it is not a virus.
In simple words, VPN services need the TAP-Windows Adapter network driver to connect to servers.
Every VPN client, irrespective of which one you are using, requires the TAP-Windows Adapter. The network driver is not needed for browser extension VPNs, which is why you won’t find TAP-Windows Adapter when using an extension because they aren’t installed on your system.
The TAP-Windows Adapter can be removed if you choose to configure your VPN client to establish private connections without TAP-Windows Adapter 9.21.2. Just remember that this might cause issues with the VPNs performance.
What is a VPN?
VPN is short for Virtual Private Network, which allows users to conceal their IP address for various reasons. By using a VPN, you can access Geo-restricted sites that are blocked in your region. VPNs also serve as a way of protecting your privacy from hackers, ISPs, or 3rd party sites that collect data.
There is a consensus among most IT experts about the benefits of VPNs regarding privacy and online security. Businesses and home users alike need protection against prying eyes and online threats.
Where Is TAP Windows Adapter 9.21.2 Located?
You may have already found the TAP-Windows Adapter in your computer’s Apps & features list, but it can also be listed in the Device Manager because it’s a driver. The default location of the TAP-Windows Adapter is C:/Program Files/Tap-Windows folder.
The version of the TAP-Windows Adapter you have will depend on which version of Windows operating system you have. Windows 10, 8, and 7 typically have the latest TAP-Windows, version 9.21.x NDIS 6 driver. However, Windows XP will have the older NDIS 5 driver TAP-Windows 9.9.x version.
Should You Reinstalling Or Remove TAP-Windows Adapter 9.21.2
If the TAP-Windows Adapter is working properly on your device, it won’t cause any issues, so there is no need to remove it, since your VPN service needs it to work properly.
However, you might have to remove and reinstall it in some cases, especially if it’s preventing your device from connecting to the internet.
If you have uninstalled your VPN or made certain customizations to the settings, you may no longer need the TAP-Windows Adapter; in this case, it has been rendered useless, and I could interfere with the internet connection. The only way to resolve this issue would be to remove the TAP-Windows Adapter.
You may need to reinstall the TAP-Windows Adapter if it gets corrupted and stops working properly, causing issues with your connection. Installing it again will fix and restore the corrupted driver files.
How to fix the TAP-Windows Adapter v9 error?
The following 4 methods will help you fix TAP-Windows Adapter v9 error.
- Use the Internet Connections Troubleshooter
- Try Resetting the TAP-Windows Adapter Connection
- Try Resetting the TAP-Windows Adapter Connection
- Try Resetting Windows 10
Try Using the Internet Connections Troubleshooter
Using the built-in Windows Internet Connections Troubleshooter is one of the most simple and easy methods to fix the TAP-Windows Adapter v9 error.
This smart tool is helpful in fixing several connectivity issues. Therefore, you should most definitely give this fix a try by following these steps:
- Press the Windows key and type troubleshoot in the search bar.
- Find “Troubleshooting” and click open it.
- Find “Internet Connections” and select it.
4. Now select “Troubleshoot my connection to the internet”
5. Now follow the wizard’s steps and complete the Troubleshooting process
Try Resetting the TAP-Windows Adapter Connection
Another way to fix this issue is to disable and re-enable the TAP adapter driver, resetting its network functions and indirectly fixing the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 error.
Follow the steps below to disable and re-enable the TAP adapter driver:
All you have to do is:
- Press the Windows key and type network in the search bar.
- Select “Network status” from the available options.
- Now select the “Network and Sharing Center.”
4. Find the “Change adapter settings” option on the left side and select it.
5. Now Right-click open the TAP-Windows Adapter menu and select “Disable.”
6. After disabling it, open the TAP-Windows Adapter menu again and select “Enable.”
7. Now restart your PC to confirm if there is any improvement.
Try Reinstalling the TAP-Windows Adapter and VPN client
Reinstalling the driver is the simplest yet the most effective way of fixing the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 error.
Keep in mind that Most of the VPN providers come with their specific TAP adapter drivers. Therefore, the more efficient method is to uninstall both TAP driver and your VPN client and reinstall them when you are done.
Follow the steps below to reinstall your TAP driver and VPN client:
- Right-click the start menu and find Device Manager.
- Open Device Manager and click open the “Network adapters” drop-down menu.
3. Find and right-click open the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 option
4. Now select the Uninstall device and press “Uninstall” to confirm.
5. Next, press the Windows key + R key to open the dialogue box and type appwiz.cpl, and hit Enter
6. Choose your desired VPN software from the menu and select Uninstall.
7. Follow the uninstallation wizard’s steps to complete the process.
8. Now restart your PC after successfully uninstalling both the services.
9. Now reinstall your VPN and TAP adapter driver.
10. Check if the error remains or not.
If the error remains even after uninstalling and reinstalling the VPN and TAP adapter driver, then consider switching to a different, more improved alternative.
Try Resetting Windows 10
In most cases, reinstalling Windows 10 resolves the TAP-Windows Adapter error.
Don’t worry! Resetting Windows 10 does not mean that you will lose your precious data. You can easily reinstall Windows 10 without losing any data. Nonetheless, remember that all of the apps and drivers will be swept clean from your PC.
You will also lose any configurations that you performed before resetting your PC.
Although, this is an extreme solution to fix the TAP-Windows Adapter error; however, it is amongst the topmost successful ones. Follow our step-by-step guide to reset your Windows 10:
- Press the Windows key and type Reset PC in the search bar.
2. Select the “Reset this PC” option and press “Get Started”.
3. If you wish to keep your files then select “Keep my files” and press Next.
4. Now select the Reset option to proceed and wait for the Resetting procedure to complete.
If you continually notice TAP-Windows Adapter V9 triggering various connectivity errors, try the above-mentioned methods to fix this issue.
In most cases, reinstalling the TAP driver and VPN client resolves the issue. But in some cases, you are left with no option but to choose the most extreme measure, which is to uninstall and reinstall your Windows 10. However, don’t forget to backup your essential data before you do so.
Did you try any of our fixes? Please share the method that helped you fix the TAP-Windows Adapter error.
- Should Your Family Use a VPN?
- 8 Best VPNs for Roku
- 5 Best VPNs For Italy
- 10 Best Free VPN Services
- AVG VPN Review
- Ivacy VPN Review
- How to Fix NordVPN Not Connecting Error
- Surfshark VPN Review
- 12 Paid And Free VPNs For Netflix
- Avast SecureLine VPN Review
- 10 Best VPNs For Torrenting
- NordVPN Free Trial
- Hola VPN Review
- Betternet VPN Review
- PureVPN Review
- Should You Use Free iPhone VPNs?
- Top 5 VPN Protocols
- How To Fix “SIM Not Provisioned MM2” Error