Virtual reality headsets are primarily made by Oculus, part of Facebook for gaming. Understandably, the prerequisite for using the VR headset is a Facebook account, but many individuals would want an alternative to accessing the VR headset without a Facebook account. That leads us to the question of how to sign up for an Oculus account without using Facebook.
What is Oculus?
Oculus is a virtual reality headset founded in 2012 by Palmer Luckey and Brendan Iribe. Facebook acquired the company in 2014 for $2 billion.
It is a virtual reality headset developed and manufactured by Oculus VR, LLC. It is designed primarily for video games and other virtual reality experiences. Its head-mounted display includes an OLED 1080p display with a refresh rate of 90Hz, which provides the highest resolution per eye available in the consumer market today.
It makes the user feel like everything is occurring right in front of their eyes. You can study, play different games, form various clubs, and even paint through the VR headset. It’s a game changer!
Can You Use Oculus Account Without Facebook?
Yes, you can use an Oculus account without linking your Facebook account. Before 2022, the possibility of getting an Oculus account without having Facebook was impossible. But later, as Facebook became the Meta company, it became possible to have an Oculus account without Facebook.
The Oculus Quest 2 can be operated without having a Facebook account. Both of them have now become a joint venture of two companies that is Meta/Facebook and Oculus. The Oculus headset has two variants, one allows you to connect it through your Facebook account, and the other does not require any connection with your account. The VR headset where a Facebook account is not essential is relatively expensive, costing around $500 more than the regular headset.
How to Make an Oculus Account Without Facebook?
Creating an Oculus account without a Facebook account isn’t just possible but a very easy process. We have listed the step-by-step guide through which you can set up your Oculus account without Facebook.
- Start by downloading the Oculus application on your mobile using the App store or Google Play store, according to your devices.
- You will now get an email from the Oculus company; this happens when you purchase a headset, so the company sends you an email on your registered mail ID.
- After downloading, the application, open the Oculus email you have received and click on the link sent by the company.
- Follow the link in your email to quickly redirect the account opening page.
- Now fill in your details and the required boxes to create an account.
- After the account creation process, open the menu option and click “Add Device.”
- This is when you add your Oculus headset to the application.
- Now switch on your Oculus headset and pair it with the application on your mobile phone.
- You can now access any online games and the VR platforms with your Oculus headset.
- Voila! Your Oculus account is created without the need for a Facebook account.
Changes Coming to Oculus
Oculus accounted very differently back in 2020, but a few changes have been made and will be effective immediately from January 1, 2023. We have listed them down, so you know and can be prepared before time.
- People using an Oculus device for the first time must log in through their Facebook accounts.
- Existing users with an Oculus account will get an option to merge their Facebook and Oculus accounts.
- If you are an existing user and do not want to merge your accounts, your account can be actively used for up to 2 years.
- If you do not want to merge your accounts, you can continue using your device, but you will need a Facebook account for complete functionality.
- Some steps will be taken to allow users to keep using the content they have purchased, which includes games and applications. Though some may not work because they require a Facebook account, the developer has chosen to end the application’s support or the game purchased.
Advantages of Using Oculus Account Without Facebook
People not on Facebook are often left out of the social media network’s many features. However, they can still enjoy the benefits of virtual reality by creating an oculus account without Facebook.
Some of the advantages of making an oculus account without Facebook include:
1. No one can view your Activities:
When connecting your Facebook account, people can usually get access to all your Oculus activities. If you make it without connecting your Facebook account, it won’t be the case. Your Oculus activities will be hidden, and only you will be able to view them.
Even if you play games, Facebook records and shows it to all your friends and other people on your social media, but much of this remains hidden without connecting Facebook with Oculus.
2. Maintenance of Privacy
When you connect your Oculus account with Facebook, say goodbye to your privacy because everyone will discover what you are doing and who you are playing with. You will feel like an invasion of privacy, with everyone knowing what you do in your free time. But with the new upgrade, you do not have to connect your Facebook account with Oculus to begin the VR experience. This is perfect because your privacy is maintained, and no one will know who or what you are playing.
3. Data Security
Data Security means all your likes, dislikes, friends, and acquaintances are protected. Facebook does not have access to it as you are using an Oculus account without connecting it with Facebook.
Can I make an Oculus account without Facebook?
Even though back in the year 2020, Oculus required a Facebook login for users to use their VR devices. The company allowed the existing users to use their Facebook accounts until January 1, 2023. After the deadline is crossed, every user will require a Meta account and Meta Horizon Profile to continue the VR headsets.
What happens if you don’t have a Facebook account for Oculus?
Beginning in August 2022, the applications of Oculus Quest 2 and Oculus Quest will not allow users to use a Facebook account to log in to their VR headsets. Now users will have to make a new Meta account separate from the usual social media presence.
How do I create an Oculus account?
Open the application on your mobile phone; you can download the Oculus app from the Google Play store or App store. Now tap on the Sign Up at the bottom of your phone screen. After creating your Facebook account, enter your name as you want it to appear in the app and to the others on the VR.
We have started the steps through which you will be able to continue using your Oculus account. Now the change might bring some differences, but with time you will adjust to the new ways of using your Oculus account without connecting it to Facebook. With the upcoming VR headsets like the Quest 2 and more devices, you will not need any impositions and can log in to your account and experience VR in gaming and more.
- AMD Radeon RX 480 Review
- Best Settings For Valorant
- How to Choose the Best Gaming Router?
- 9 Best Gaming Mouse Under 50
- Asus ROG Flow X16 – The Newest 2 in 1 Gaming Laptop
- LG Turns Its OLED TV into a Huge Gaming Monitor called LG UltraGear 48GQ900
- What is Anti-Aliasing and Why Is it Important for Gaming?
- Merax Gaming Chair Review