Over the last few years, Reddit has emerged as a fantastic community-based platform where there are subreddits on every topic imaginable. It is a great place where people ask and answer questions, post memes and funny photos, share private thoughts, stories, and experiences with millions of other users from around the world.
Reddit allows users to post anonymously and use multiple accounts. You can create a throwaway account simple to post without revealing your identity. It is common for Reddit users to create and delete temporary accounts. If you are wondering how to delete a Reddit account, then keep reading.
Deleting A Reddit Account On A Browser
The simplest way to delete a Reddit account is to use Reddit’s browser version and follow these steps:
- Go to the official Reddit website – reddit.com, and sign in to the account you want to delete.
- On the top right corner of the main page, click your User name and select the ‘User Settings’ option in the drop-down menu, which will take you to a new page.
- Scroll down to locate the ‘Deactivate Account’ option, which will be at the bottom of the page. Click it.
- Re-enter your Username and Password and provide optional feedback.
- Check the ‘deactivated accounts are not recoverable’ box to confirm and click the Deactivate button.
Deleting A Reddit Account On Phone
In case you don’t have access to a desktop computer and your password is saved on your phone, you can quickly delete your Reddit account through an Android or iPhone smartphone by following these steps:
- Go to the Reddit app, go to the settings through the profile icon, scroll down, and choose the ‘Help and FAQs’ option, which will take you to a webpage.
- In the search bar, enter ‘Deactivate account’ and press the in the search button.
- Find the ‘how do I Deactivate my account? ‘query in the search results.
- Click the link provided on the page.
- Log-in to the account you want to delete
- Enter your username and password again and provide optional feedback.
- Check the confirmation box and tap the ‘Deactivate’ button.
Note: Once you delete your Reddit account, you can never get the access back again.
Deleting A Reddit Post
To delete Reddit post, follow these steps:
- Go to reddit.com, login to your account, and click your username located in the top right corner of the page.
- Select ‘My Profile’ from the drop-down menu, which will show you all your posts on one page.
- Locate the post you want to delete and tap on the three dots underneath the post.
- Click the ‘Delete’ option in the drop-down menu to permanently delete your desired post from the site.
Difference Between Deactivating And Deleting A Reddit Account
However, this is not the case with Reddit because it doesn’t allow temporarily disabling your account. Once you delete or deactivate a Reddit account, you lose access to it forever. Therefore, it is essential to be aware of the consequences before your rush to deleting or deactivating your Reddit account.
After deleting your Reddit account, you lose all of your subscribed subreddits along with any private messages that you may have at any time shared with other Reddit users. You will lose Reddit premium perks as well.
Neither you nor anyone else can reactivate your account or sign up with your username ever in the future.
However, deleting or deactivating a Reddit account does not mean that your data will also be automatically deleted. So, if you do not want your posts and comments to be available in the future, you would have to delete comments and posts from Reddit individually.
There is no automated system available currently that could help you delete or download your Reddit data, so think before you decide to leave Reddit because there is undoubtedly no going back once you leave the platform.
If you want to erase all of your posts at once before you delete your account, then rather than deleting the posts individually, you can use the ‘Nuke Reddit History’ extension for Google Chrome.
For automatically downloading your Reddit data, there are no other options but to contact Reddit’s team and request them to help you with downloading your Reddit data.
Common Reason For Deleting A Reddit Account Permanently
At the end of last year, in a sudden move, Reddit revealed that it welcomes 52 million users on a daily basis, which goes to show how popular the platform is. In fact, Reddit is one of the top ten most popular social media sites on the internet, but we don’t see the number of people leaving the platform and deactivating their accounts for good. Why do some people decide to delete their Reddit account never to return permanently?
Well, one of the biggest reasons is some of the privacy and security issues of Reddit that many people who care about their online security don’t agree with, and for a good reason. Over the past few years, Reddit has been in many controversies, which has made users reconsider using the platform.
A major incident that raised some serious red flags happened in 2016, shortly after the US presidential election. Redditors noticed that Stever Huffman, Reddit’s CEO, had edited some parts of the site, particularly the r/The_Donald pro-Trump subreddit that contained a large number of comments criticizing Huffman. After users found out that their comments could be edited and manipulated, there was an uproar regarding the overreach of Reddit executives. Although Huffman no longer has the power to edit parts of the platform, it still didn’t sit right with many users.
Reddit has also been found tracking users without their knowledge and sharing user data with third parties. Many Redditors are not aware that tracking is automatically enabled, which they have to switch off manually through the settings of their account.
Many people also state that their reasons for leaving Reddit include heavy censorship on the website, badly behaving moderators, and other security vulnerabilities.
Deactivating or deleting a Reddit account permanently is no rocket science; you can delete or deactivate the account within a few seconds only. However, removing Reddit data, including posts and comments – is the real challenge!
We highly recommend you to plan your deletion and deactivation thoroughly if you want to save or remove any Reddit data. Because once you are gone, then there is no coming back to your previous account on Reddit.