Italy is one of the very few countries worldwide that does not censor or remove content on the internet. However, that does not mean that internet users are free to do anything they want; according to reports, Italian agencies use communication interception and wiretapping for mass surveillance of internet users. In fact, Italy is a part of the 14 Eyes Alliance, which means that they conduct surveillance and share intelligence with other member countries.
Italy also has strict anti-torrenting laws to prevent piracy.
For these problems, the easiest solution is to use a VPN service. If you are in Italy and value your privacy and safety or wish to torrent anonymously, VPNs are the best solution.
In today’s article, we look at the top VPNs to use in Italy. We have selected reliable, high-performance, affordable VPN services that will not only protect you from prying eyes but will also allow you to access geo-restricted sites, apps and content.
Why Is a VPN Necessary in Italy?
In modern times VPNs are becoming a necessity for a variety of reasons, all having to do with online privacy and using the internet safely. We have already talked about Italy’s online surveillance, geo-restricted sites, and content is another troubling issue that limits people’s options of what they can watch on platforms like Netflix.
Following are some of the most important advantages of having a VPN Italy:
- Privacy Against Online Surveillance: Italy’s Intelligence agencies are known to hack into data and intercept communications without the knowledge or consent of the public. This is a serious invasion of your online privacy; in fact, the issue was raised by the UN. To protect yourself against online surveillance, VPN services offering servers outside 14 Eyes Alliance are helpful and can help you maintain your privacy.
- Unblock streaming services: You can benefit from a VPN whether you are outside Italy trying to access streaming platforms like RaiTV that exclusively work on Italian IP addresses, or you are in the country and want to expand your choices by tapping into geo-restricted streaming services and content on platforms like Netflix. A VPN service will allow you to unblock content easily and reliably.
- By-pass Regional Restrictions: Almost every country has its own set of restricted sites that go beyond streaming platforms. Although Geo-restrictions are understandable, they limit the utility of the internet and prevent people from accessing useful information. Thankfully, VPN solves this issue by increasing the accessibility of the internet irrespective of where you are.
- Cyber-Attack Security: A VPN will protect you from cyber-attacks, and this is especially important since Italy does not have a reliable cyber-security strategy. In fact, according to A survey by Statista, over 40% of Italian internet users faced malware attacks, which goes to show you should take online security measures to protect your data.
How To Use A VPN For Italy
It is simple to use a VPN to obtain online privacy and unblock restricted or regionally prohibited content. Simply follow the instructions outlined below:
- Select a VPN from this list. We prefer NordVPN because it provides good value for money, has server locations in over 50 countries, which include Italy, and has clients for all platforms with robust privacy features.
- Sign up for the VPN and install the VPN app. Our suggestion permits you to run the VPN on several devices at the same time.
- Install the VPN client and sign in with your credentials.
- Select a VPN server in Italy to obtain an Italian IP address or another location to unblock local content.
- That’s all. When you connect to the Virtual Private Network, your data is encrypted, making it impossible for ISPs, local network administrators, regulatory agencies, and cybercriminals to monitor your traffic. Furthermore, you will be able to circumvent any government-imposed Internet filters and use services in countries all over the world.
Do Free VPNs Work For Italy?
Free VPNs are plentiful nowadays, but the majority aren’t worth your time. They will either not provide the functionality you require or cannot be trusted.
VPN services that claim to be “free” are, in most cases, for-profit businesses. Many of them mine your surfing data and implant tracking cookies into your browser to gather the information that can be sold to advertising in order to make revenue. This contradicts the VPN’s privacy purpose and should be avoided. Some VPNs even incorporate extra advertising directly into online pages.
Free VPN services are likewise significantly more basic than their paid equivalents. Bandwidth and data limits are prevalent, as are waiting lines. Servers are usually congested, and free users have access to a small number of server locations.
VPNs To Avoid In Italy
It is hard to audit all of the hundreds of VPN companies available, but here are a handful that you may have come across in your search that you should absolutely avoid in Italy.
After people learned about the arrest of one of PureVPN’s users, PureVPN has been pounded in the news and on community boards. The man, who was accused of stalking, utilized PureVPN to conceal his identity. However, PureVPN, a corporation based in Hong Kong, provided IP address data to US law authorities, which led to the man’s arrest. While we condemn the man’s behavior, PureVPN’s no-logs policy is incredibly deceptive. Meanwhile, some opponents have begun to call PureVPN’s security into doubt.
Because of its stringent zero-logs policy and high-security requirements, AirVPN has gained a remarkable reputation in the Virtual private network world. Unfortunately, the corporation was formed in Italy, putting it squarely under the control of Italian authorities. AirVPN would be a fantastic recommendation in almost any other country, but it’s just a little too near to home for Italians.
Data Retention And Mass Surveillance Laws In Italy
The European Union passed the Data Retention Directive in 2006, which mandates ISPs to collect specific subscriber information. This data comprises metadata such as the source IP address, the destination IP address, the time, the length, the device, and the user’s location.
In Italy, ISPs are allowed to keep user data for a minimum of 12 months. The law does not require storing internet communications, but it also does not stipulate what traffic must be retained.
The Italian government is currently contemplating extending the deadline from 12 months to six years. It may also permit web surveillance without judicial oversight, implying that law enforcement agencies or your ISP can access the exact contents of your browsing history rather than merely information.
In March 2017, the Senate approved proposed legislation that controls hacking for police investigations, although privacy advocates expressed worries about the absence of necessary safeguards.
5 Best VPNs To Use In Italy
The Panama-based VPN service provider NordVPN is one of the most popular, trusted, and the most established VPNs out there, with about 5,200 servers dispersed in 60 countries, including Italy. NordVPN is the ideal all-rounder with amazing security credentials; it uses effective and reliable 256-bit AES encryption to secure its connections, it includes DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
It has dedicated servers for anti-DDoS, ultra-fast streaming, double VPN, and Tor over VPN. Additionally, it follows a strict no-logs policy. NordVPN has the impressive ability to unblock nearly all types of blocked, geo-restricted sites, platforms, and content, including Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
You can connect up to six devices on a single subscription. NordVPN has dedicated apps for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, with user-friendly interfaces.
Thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try the service risk-free.
With more than 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries worldwide, ExpressVPN is one of the most widely used and trusted VPNs. What makes Express VPN the best choice for Italy is its two locations in Italy, including Milan and Cosenza. For this reason, ExpressVPN can successfully unblock geo-restricted content and apps in Italy, including Replay, HBO, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video, and more.
For unblocking Netflix UK, US, and Canada in Italy, ExpressVPN is one of the most reliable options. No matter if you are trying to unblock Netflix Android, iOS, or the web version, you can depend on ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN’s optimized servers allow you to stream HD, FHD, and Ultra HD videos at maximum speed. You can also download large files smoothly without any interruption.
ExpressVPN also offers the best features like 256-bit AES encryption, kill switch, and DNS leak protection. ExpressVPN app supports iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, and some specific WiFi routers.
ExpressVPN is the best Italian VPN service for a high-speed, secure connection in Italy. To top it all, every ExpressVPN plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark has an impressive network of more than 3,200 servers across the globe, including Italy. Surfshark is widely recommended and trusted for its supreme securities features and its affordable prices.
When it comes to blocking Netflix and Rai TV in Italy, Surfshark excels at unblocking both services. There are complaints about Surfshark having troubles at unblocking Rai TV occasionally. However, according to our tests, Surfshark unblocked Rai TV seamlessly at all times.
Although Surfshark is an affordable VPN service, it does not compromise on its security features. Surfshark offers 256-bit encryption, kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a NoBorders mode that can efficiently bypass even the strictest geo-restrictions.
Surfshark’s zero-logs policy and the ability to protect all connected devices with a single account adds to its security. This low-cost VPN service supports Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and macOS.
All-in-all, Surfshark is the best low-cost VPN service that offers fast connections and powerful security and privacy features without breaking your bank.
With more than 1,100 servers in about 60 countries, including Italy – IPVanish is the best VPN service to unblock RaiPlay and Kodi in Italy. However, it struggles to unlock Netflix and Hulu in most locations, so it is the best VPN service to unblock Netflix in Italy.
Other than that, IPVanish offers impressive security features, including 256-bit AES encryption and a zero-log policy. The connection speeds are also seamless and fast, allowing you to stream in HD and FHD without interruption. IPVanish is available for Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS.
For its reliable security and privacy features and reasonable price plans, IPVanish is an excellent VPN option for Italy.
A recently launched choice that shows great promise in terms of performance and reliability. We know that PrivateVPN might not be a highly established service like most others on our list, but PrivateVPN has some solid qualities that work in its favor and allows it to be among the veterans.
Despite the small server network, PrivateVPN offers impressive fast speeds and unblocking capabilities. You can easily access Italian and American Netflix catalogs on the app and the browser; it also unblocked other popular streaming platforms, including RaiPlay, Hulu, HBO, and BBC iPlayer, without any issues.
PrivateVPN connections are secured using military-grade encryption, plus it sticks to a no-logs policy and forward secrecy. A single subscription can be used to connect up to five devices, with apps available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. PrivateVPN includes DNS leak protection and kill switch function.
On the downside, there is a lack of 24/7 customer support service and a small number of servers. Hopefully, improvements will be made soon.
Subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Install a Virtual Private Network on Your Device
If you follow the recommended steps, installing and configuring a virtual private network (VPN) on any device is simple. Follow the instructions below to set up a virtual private network (VPN) on your device.
- Create an account by going to the official VPN site of your chosen service. You will be requested to submit a working email address and other information during the registration process.
- Following the completion of the registration process, the next step is to go ahead and purchase a subscription. Select the subscription plan that best suits your needs and decide how you would like to be charged. There are VPN services that will give a trial period for free, but there are also VPN providers that may not. If there is an option for a free trial, you can select that when you want to test out the service.
- Sign in by utilizing the email address and password you supplied during the sign-up process.
- You may get the VPN client software from the downloads section. Be sure to select a version that’s compatible with the operating system you are using. When you sign up for a VPN service, some providers will email the customer a download link, while others will let you download the software straight from their website. Additionally, specific VPN applications can be downloaded from leading app stores.
- Install the application, then log in using the information you gave when you registered for the service.
- There will be a prompt that displays the terms and conditions that are applicable. To accept these terms, please click the “Allow” button.
- Go to the options tab, select the VPN settings that work best for you, or keep using the default settings. You are able to choose the VPN protocol as well as other security options by going to the advanced section of the settings.
- Select the location of the server you’d like to connect to, then click “connect.” Some virtual private networks, or VPNs, include an automatic option that assists you in selecting the server that offers the fastest connection based on the configuration of your network.
- You will be able to begin browsing the Internet after the connection has been successfully established.
Which VPN provider is best to use in Italy?
It is possible to avoid being censored in Italy and safeguard your online privacy using one of the several quality Virtual Private Network service providers currently available. You can avoid having your activities monitored by your Internet service provider (ISP) while in Italy by switching to one of the reputable service providers mentioned above. These VPN service providers can offer you unrestricted access to the Internet as well as extensive online protection.
Is using a VPN in Italy legal?
Yes, the use of virtual private networks is entirely legal within Italy. You might probably know that individuals in Italy have the freedom to use the Internet without being subject to as many restrictions as those living in countries such as China or Russia. It is not against the law in Italy to use a VPN. Hence no one is stopped from doing so.
Should I Get a VPN for My Trip to Italy?
The fact that Italy is a part of the 14 Eyes alliance is among the most important reasons why you should use a virtual private network (VPN) in Italy. The 14 Eyes is an agreement between countries that allows for the sharing of data and enables widespread surveillance. Nevertheless, using a virtual private network (VPN) can render it hard for nations part of the 14 Eyes alliance to monitor their online activities.
If you want to avoid being monitored by your Internet service provider (ISP) or the Italian government, you will probably require a virtual private network (VPN) in Italy. You may also need one in order to access region-blocked streaming networks such as Netflix, ESPN, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
Is there a local version of Netflix in Italy?
Although it is possible to use Netflix in Italy, its content library may differ from country to country due to licensing restrictions. In comparison to the content available in the United States, Netflix’s collection in Italy only contains a select few movies and television episodes. You will require a virtual private network, or VPN, in order to access part of its material outside of your country. You always have the option of going with a VPN provider to gain an American IP address and access the content available on Netflix in the United States.
Where can I find a free VPN to use in Italy?
You may use a VPN for free. However, it is strongly recommended that you make use of a paid VPN service while you are in Italy. This is due to the fact that a free VPN might not provide the level of privacy and security that you require. In addition, if you wish to bypass geographical restrictions on material, a free VPN might not have enough servers in Italy to meet your needs. In addition, you always have the option to test out virtual private network (VPN) services with a free trial option. You may, for example, try out ExpressVPN’s VPN service without taking any risks for the first thirty days of your subscription. Then, if you decide that you do not want to continue using the service, you have the option to cancel your subscription.
Is it possible to download torrents anonymously using a VPN in Italy?
In general, torrenting in Italy might be lawful. However, this will primarily rely on the content that you’re downloading. Illicit activity includes things like sharing files via torrent that are protected by copyright but not with a license. Therefore, if you download illegal content while using a virtual private network (VPN), you could run into trouble if the authorities find out about it. In addition, you run the risk of being fined in Italy for every piece of copyrighted content that you download. Even though the government only seldom enforces these fines, it is still best to be cautious about what you download when using a virtual private network.
Should the Virtual Private Network I use for Italy have a server there?
This issue is dependent on what you plan to accomplish with the VPN. Suppose you are traveling outside of Italy but still want to access content only available in Italy. In that case, you must use a virtual private network (VPN) with servers in Italy. On the other hand, if you are physically located in Italy and wish to avoid having your online activity monitored by your ISP or the Italian government, you don’t necessarily require an Italian server or IP address.
Investing in a reliable and efficient VPN service is necessary if you are in Italy because of the strict surveillance and privacy issues. Ensure that you know your requirements before selecting the best Italy VPN from our list.
What VPN service do you trust and recommend for Italy? Please share it with us in the comments section.
- 10 Best Free VPN Services
- iProVPN review
- AVG VPN Review
- Ivacy VPN Review
- How to Fix NordVPN Not Connecting Error
- IPVanish vs NordVPN
- Avast SecureLine VPN Review
- 10 Best VPNs For Torrenting
- Hola VPN Review
- Betternet VPN Review
- NordVPN vs CyberGhost
- PureVPN Review
- Top 5 VPN Protocols
- Should You Use Free iPhone VPNs?
- ExpressVPN vs NordVPN
- Whoer VPN Review