We have all heard about AI – Artificial Intelligence, but do we understand what Artificial Intelligence is? Its historical background? How is it changing the world? Why is it important?
This guide is focused on answering all of the commonly asked questions regarding Artificial Intelligence, and help you make the best use of AI technology.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
AI refers to intelligent software and hardware that is designed to replicate “human” behaviors. Artificial Intelligence technology can perform learning and problem-solving tasks, similar to what we once watched only in science fiction movies.
However, we are now in the age when Artificial Intelligence is playing an essential role in improving data to day activities of common people. AI technology allows machines to successfully perform various day to day tasks, like driving automobiles, performing smart cleaning activities, and providing intelligent virtual assistance for playing games.
According to Gartner, “By 2021, 80% of emerging technologies will have AI foundations”.
Utilizing the AI technology, computers are trained to perform various tasks by processing a massive amount of data and recognizing the repeating patterns in the provided data to accomplish specific tasks.
The History of AI
We can trace back the basics of the concepts of AI to the 1940s. However, it was in the year 1956 at Dartmouth College that the term “artificial intelligence” was given to the technology. Initially, the AI earliest programs hand the ability to play games and recognize simple pattern recognition, as well as using data for machine learning.
The first neural network founded by scientist Frank Rosenblatt of Cornell University, the system ran on an IBM 5-ton (4.5-metric ton) computer and mainly used punch cards for data.
The tremendous promise of AI technology attracted the interest of the US Department of Defense. They used machine learning to train computers to learn and apply basic human reasoning. By 1970, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) had completed street mapping with the help of AI.
The mid-1980s ushered a new wave of advancements in AI technology with more advanced multilayer neural networks that were capable of higher-level tasks; by the 1990s, AI technology was being used to do more than machine training.
The development of more powerful computers and the web in the 1990s and 2000s greatly helped AI advancements.
The ability to transfer large data volumes, as well as more sophisticated algorithms and better computing and storage has increased the potential of AI and what can be achieved using the technology. AI technology has made its way into our homes, businesses, and mobile devices that we use daily.
Although we have a long way to go before we achieve the Hollywood depiction of AI technology in the form of robots, AI is being used in almost every industry to increase efficiency and productivity. The current achievements in AI are all thanks to the early work that laid the foundation of integral industrial technologies, including automation, logic, and formal reasoning.
Why is Artificial Intelligence Important?
Artificial Intelligence has revolutionized many practices and industries across the globe. However, there are a few factors that make AI technology important; they are:
- AI technology will help eliminate the need for human assistance for tedious and repetitive tasks.
- AI technology will significantly decrease the risk of traffic complications and improve auto safety.
- AI technology will enable incredible precision, accuracy, and speed in manufacturing procedures.
- AI technology will significantly improve communication networks across the globe.
- AI technology will be available 24/7 and will offer a controlled level of effectiveness.
- AI technology will help in faster and reason-based decision making.
Artificial Intelligence and Its Impact on Various Industries
If you talk about Artificial Intelligence’s essential role apart from day to day activities of common people, this technology is also being widely used in numerous industries.
Artificial Intelligence’s potential to revolutionize the manufacturing industry is limitless. AI is enabling and will continue to accomplish manufacturing processes will minimal to zero errors and utmost quality assurance.
With technological advancement, every industry now requires foolproof cybersecurity to protect their sensitive data from security breaches. AI technology is going to be a game-changer for improving cybersecurity and cyber-resilience. With its ability to process massive amounts of data that allows complex reasoning and self-learning – foolproof cybersecurity now seems possible.
Healthcare is another important industry that is making use of AI technology. From healthcare equipment like X-ray machines to drug safety and regulation department – all are including AI technology to improve healthcare practices.
It is astonishing to see the positive effects of AI technology is improving the construction industry. With the help of AI technology, construction processes in the future are expected to become faster, safe, and impressively cost-effective.
Business and Retail
Business and Retail industry is amongst the essential industries, and it is also one of the top industries that are introducing AI technology to improve their practices. AI technology is enabling enhance precision, effectiveness, and speed in all departments, including management, production, supply chain, and retail.
The educational industry is also making the use of AI technology to discover new concepts and theories. In the near future, we can predict that with the help of AI, we will be able to create a dynamic, personalized, and effective learning subject matter for students across the globe.
Role of AI in Customer Experience [Infographic]
Infographics Credit: Callcentrehelper
Can Artificial Intelligence Be A Threat?
AI is a tool. Thus, its risk is entirely reliant on humans and how they utilize it.
Consider a hammer. It can be used for good things, such as building a house, yet it can also be used to cause harm to others.
However, unlike a hammer, which can just be used by one person at once with limited impact, Artificial Intelligence can be developed by a single person and spread around, multiplying its power for good or evil.
When artificial intelligence is utilized to construct autonomous weapons, it can be harmful. Almost every central government is currently investing heavily in the development of autonomous weapons that will be employed in future conflicts.
This sets a dangerous example for the use of AI. The Future of Life Institute has started a petition to help prevent the manufacture and spread of these types of weapons.
Another way AI can be detrimental is when it is used in society without careful consideration and examination of the long-term moral and ethical ramifications.
There is a risk, for example, of creating a society in which certain judgments are solely dependent on an algorithm developed by artificial intelligence.
For instance, who will be sentenced to prison for a crime? “Criminal risk assessment algorithms” are currently being used in the United States to determine if an individual is likely to return to crime in the future. Many civil rights organizations oppose using such tools, claiming that they can make incorrect recommendations and imprison innocent people.
AI will be utilized in a similar manner to affect decision-making in other facets of society, such as banking and education, and the initial device learning models to be employed will almost certainly be prejudiced.
When AI tools are deployed in society, the algorithms on which they are built should be open, allowing us to validate decisions made by the tools after knowing them. They should also be constructed to be resistant to hacker attempts to modify the algorithms underlying artificial intelligence.
Instead of depending solely on AI to make crucial societal decisions, systems should always be designed to utilize AI analysis in conjunction with human input.
What Are The Most Common Jobs Associated With Artificial Intelligence?
AI is rapidly creating a massive number of new employment, with the most significant difficulty being a sufficient supply of qualified candidates to fill such positions.
Data scientists, research scientists, software engineers, machine learning specialists, and deep learning experts are some of the AI-related job titles currently in high demand on job search platforms.
Nevertheless, there will be a higher demand for professionals who know how AI works in general, as well as how to assist businesses and individuals in implementing these technologies for the benefit of business and society.
Here are a few of the AI-related jobs we have seen experts discuss:
- AI Chatbot Developer: An expert who understands how to create AI-based chatbots that are able to handle primary customer care demands while also providing a pleasant user experience.
- AI Digital Marketeer: An expert who understands how to use various digital marketing as well as social media platforms that use artificial intelligence to develop more effective marketing tactics.
- Consultant Of Artificial Intelligence Business Strategy: An expert who examines a firm and makes recommendations on how to construct AI services and products using systems such as IBM Watson, Amazon Web Services, or Microsoft Azure. While developing internal AI tools can be beneficial, purchasing pre-existing solutions from established suppliers such as the ones listed above is also feasible.
- Public Sector AI Strategy Consultant: An expert who can anticipate potential problems that will occur as a result of the introduction of AI into society and solve them via AI training. This plays a crucial role in assisting humanity in becoming acquainted with and comfortable with the usage of new AI technology. This type of expert could also help folks who are without their jobs due to artificial intelligence and robotics by linking them with appropriate retraining programs to assist them in obtaining new types of work.
- Tech-Addiction Coach: A trained coach or counselor who comprehends and is able to handle the mental and physical consequences of AI’s rapid growth, as well as the challenges that may arise from misuse. With the increasing prominence of AI technology in our daily lives, users may become addicted to certain products. Furthermore, some people may suffer negative emotional consequences as a result of an overreliance on AI at the expense of typical social situations and human relationships.
- Creativity Counselor: A skilled professional who has assisted others in developing human-based talents such as emotional and social intelligence and creativity. Since machines cannot substitute it, this is a critical position that will be extremely valuable to humanity in the future.
Will China Become An AI Superpower?
The straightforward answer is YES.
It’s fascinating to see how China accomplishes this. China has formed a national AI team composed of the country’s leading artificial intelligence technology giants, including Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent.
The goal is to be the world leader in artificial intelligence by 2030, and China is now one of the few countries that has established such a goal.
Overall, the Chinese have a reputation for being far more diligent than Europeans or Americans, and it appears they will achieve their goal.
In the first stage of China’s AI strategy, the country intends to concentrate and work on the following seven critical areas of AI:
- Intelligent Connected Vehicles (ICV)
- Computer Translation
- Intelligent Unmanned Arial Vehicles
- Intelligent Service Robots
- Video Image Recognition
- Artificial Audio Intelligence (AAI)
- Computer-Aided Medical Imaging Diagnosis Systems
This indicates that numerous AI applications, such as intelligent linked vehicles (self-driving cars) and intelligent service robots, will soon be available in China’s leading cities.
However, being an artificial intelligence (AI) superpower does not always imply having the most contented citizens or making sure that the wealth produced through AI gets shared fairly among the country’s population.
We think that European countries will take the lead in this regard, proving to the rest of the world the significance of employing AI ethically and fairly and distributing the advantages equally across society.
Similar to every other technology and innovation, AI also has its disadvantages. The most significant drawback being the elimination of repetitive procedures and effective decision making that can cause a massive effect on unemployment.
It cannot be denied that AI has massive potential advantages. Some of them the benefits are discovered, and humans are making the most out of these incredible advantages.
But with AI technology, the sky is not even the limit! With the passing years, we will surely discover unimaginable ways of how Artificial intelligence can evolve technologies, knowledge, and practices across the globe.